Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Trimming the Fat

Well, the time has come for me to get down and serious about losing some weight. After stepping on the scale at my doctor's office and seeing 196 lbs, I realized I need to do something. This is just getting ridiculous. I was determined I would never weigh 200 lbs and I meant it. At 196 lbs? That as close as I am willing to let myself get. The time has come to do something and my first step was to quit drinking soda and stop eating so much junk food. Giving up soda is no big deal for me, I don't really miss it...but I do miss my junk food. I would kill a man for a chocolate bar, I won't lie.

I am determined to get down to at least 165 lbs. That will be 10 lbs more than I weighed back in high school and I think its a reasonable goal. First I want to give my body a chance to get use to the fact that it will no longer be getting its staple diet of chocolate and soda. I won't lie, it wasn't easy those first few days. It was just natural to reach for a soda when I was thirsty or snack on a chocolate bar when I was having a snack attack. Now I have to be conscience of my choices. I'm trying to be more aware of what I am putting in my body. And WOW, was I putting a lot of crap in my body!

Do I feel any different after making just this small change? A little bit, yes. I don't feel as sluggish and depressed. I would love to say my clothes are already fitting looser but I haven't had that happen just yet. Next I have to add exercise to my regiment and already I have a few walking partners. On the rainy days I will make it a goal to ride the exercise bike for at least 10 to 20 minutes. Plus I will start using the Wii Fit more. I haven't used it in about 6 months but any little bit of exercise will help. And it will help me get better balance.

So I will do my best to track my progress here. A written record will keep me focused and on track. Losing 30 lbs seems like a huge goal right now but I think, with a little grit and determination, I can do this. Maybe I should add it to my list of 101 things to do in 1,001 days! If I can lose even 10 lbs right now, it will feel like a major accomplishment. Its going to take some work on my part and I can't give up if I don't lose a single pound in a few days time. No slacking! No quitting!

1 comment:

Bear said...

You can do it, D!! If you ever need any help, someone to walk with let me know..I'll do anything I can to help. Never give up, Never surrender!!!