Tuesday, October 13, 2009

DAMN DIABETICS

Monday was the ultimate is suckass bad days for me. First of all, my husband had to have surgery on his eye. I don't care if I go under the knife but he is another situation entirely. I was worried but I think I hid it well. Surgery would be about 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours. Okay, good enough. I could run some errands while he was under the knife. Then I got the call about an hour after having left him at the hospital.

"Is this the family of Anthony Davis Jr?"

NOT the kind of thing you want to hear when a loved one is in surgery. I'm thinking they called to tell me his eye is dying and has to be removed or that he is dead. SURPRISE! His surgery is over, everything went well and they didn't have to do as much as they had anticipated. Great! Awesome! So far, so good. Til we got home.

Now Sassy has been sick for almost a week. Stuffy, snotty, crusty nose (gross, I know, Amalia!), lethargic, drinking LOTS of water but then peeing it right back out, wetting on my damn couch!! The last one was not so bad. I could throw the slip covers in the wash but I have found out, those cushions still smell like nail polish remover which was what we could smell as soon as we came home from hubby's surgery. HUGE puddle on the floor, soaked cushion and soaked couch ruffle. Poor Sassy was laying on the ruined couch looking up at me like "Oh please please don't be mad. I can't help it. I don't know what's wrong!" Needless to say, I started to cry.

As best we could we bundled her into my Mom's car and hauled ass for Dover Vetrinary Hospital (Don't take roadkill there, that's all I'm saying). Doesn't matter if you show up early. You aren't getting into your appointment a moment earlier. Plus, the folks there have all the personality of a fucking paper doll. Assholes. So the nurse drew some blood, listened to Sassy's heart and lungs, felt her bladder which by now was empty (big shock). FOURTY FIVE FRIGGING MINUTES LATER, they finally came back and told me Sassy's blood sugar level was 663! TAHDAH! My dog is diabetic. Great. I can handle that. Not if she had kidney failure. That I couldn't do.

Needless to say we had to leave Sassy there overnight to be monitored, rehydrated and have her insulin and antibiotics for the UTI started. I felt like the world's biggest bitch leaving her there. She looked at me as if to say "But why?! What did I do?! I'm sorry, Momma!" Sniffling and hugging myself, my mom paid the $200 vet bill without being asked and we headed for home. They are now keeping her another night to see if she will eat more, get her more hydrated and to make sure they figure out a good amount of insulin for her to have during the day. She will need a change in her diet, a whole new kind of food and probably no more human food which will distress her greatly.

I hope to have her back tomorrow. I will call the vet in the morning to check on Sassy's progress but I hope and pray she is back here with us where people who give a sweet damn can take care of her. Next time, I'll suck it up and make the nearly hour long drive to Brewer Vet Clinic. You know. Where people have personalities and give a shit.

No comments: