Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Little Off The TIP!

I guess even as an animal mommy I have a sixth sense when it comes to my pets. Last night my dog, Sassy, fell asleep on her cushion beside her daddy's computer chair. She had no desire to get up and go on the couch. Okay, no big deal as long as she was comfy, right? At 3 a.m. this morning I was awoken to the sound of the tags on her collar jingling. This meant she was up and moving, probably headed for the couch, so I listened a little longer. Hmmm. Didn't hear the jingle of her getting up on the couch. Weird. Better go check that she made it up on there all right. As I came down over the stairs I checked her cushion by her daddy's chair and saw a shadow. Oh damn, I thought, she had an accident. So I went to console her when something told me to turn on the light and check that "shadow". Turns out it was a huge puddle of blood! Now I am freaking out! Did Tj run over her tail with his chair and not know it? Was her poor dry nose bleeding? I rushed over to find her on the couch looking totally fine. Nothing was further from the truth. A puddle of blood was on the carpet beside the couch, there was splotches of blood on her fur and I could not for the life of me find the source. Then, she wagged her tail a bit and blood splashed on me. Oh. My. God. The tip of her tail looked like it had been skinned!!! No fur and nothing but blood. Now I'm panicking and yelling for Tj. I wrapped her poor abused tail in a washcloth but it quickly bled through, then a dishtowel, same thing. Thankfully Tj had his jump kit in the truck and we wrapped her tail in gauze and I applied A LOT of pressure, praying to God her tail wasn't broke. She gave no cries, no whimpers, no sounds or signs of distress. Thankfully the tail stopped bleeding and we bandaged it up. She goes back to a REAL VET tomorrow for her dry crusty nose and to get a second opinion on the diabetes so we'll have them take a look at her poor tail as well and make sure she isn't going to lose that portion of it. On a brighter note, she has become much more active and alert over the last two days. I'm hoping they won't have to keep her at the Brewer Vet but if they do, I completely and trully trust those people with her.

No comments: