Sunday, April 4, 2010

Vacation Time/Spring Cleaning

You'd think it would be a time of rest and relaxation but that is not to be. At least not on the days my husband is home. Tomorrow we will clean up the attic, sorting what stays and what is to go on dump days. Now understand, its been warm the last few days. Very warm. Almost hot you could say. Up in that attic, its going to be damn warm. And hornet-filled, no doubt. Luckily I went and bought some hornet spray to ward off the nasty little bastards. Small fear of mine, wasps and hornets.

Tomorrow is going to be about what is to be let go and what is to remain. Sentimentality aside, we have to get some of the stuff in the attic GONE. The historical society wants the copies of The Town Crier that we have and would probably like the old copies of Life and People magazine that are up there too. There are empty cardboard boxes up there as well, those will go to the burn pile. Clothes from Tj's grandfather. Who died. When he was about 3. Understand my husband is now 39 years of age. Its time for stuff like that to go by the way side. Plus we have clothing up there that belongs to his mom that she hasn't worn since her teenage years. Bye bye!

All this is being done in an effort to make room for mine and Tj's stuff...that has sat in our dining room...for 9 years. And accumulated some friends thereby making our dining room non-functional. We are both so sick of it and how it makes the whole house look. This year we have resolved to stop being lazy and saying "Someday we will...". Now we are GOING to do it. The cleaning of the attic has a dual purpose. We are going to clean it out AND insulate it as we go. Something that has desperately needed to be done for eons. It will help keep the kitchen a little warmer in the winter and we won't lose as much heat through the kitchen ceiling each year, costing us big bucks in heating oil.
I want my house to be presentable. I want to be able to have folks come in and not have to explain why the place is the way it is. I want to be able to have people over for dinner, the entertain. I want people to come over and for me not to feel self-conscious about my living space. I got the couch cleaned off which, to me, is a major accomplishment. It looks so much better. The livingroom actually looks bigger! Clothing is finally back where it belongs, in our new walk in closet! Its exciting to see the change and I want to keep up the trend with the rest of the house. Once the angel room is cleaned up I will feel so much better. About myself and my home.

1 comment:

Bear said...

Good luck D! You guys will have the house you want in no time